Latest PeakView™ Version: 5.2.0
Release Date: 01/25/2022
Enhancements and New Features:
- The highlight of this release is that Peakview High Capacity Solver (HCS), Peakview’s iterative EM solver engine, achieves production quality with major applications in brute-force metal fill and other large-scale EM simulations. HCS is rigorously benchmarked against Peakview’s default patented 3D DC-mmWave-TeraHz engine on accuracy and now dramatically extends the solver capacity and performance for cases that are beyond the reach of Peakview’s already world’s best direct solver engine. HCS allows solving EM problems 5-10X larger than before.
- Peakview Hierarchical Physical-Based Model (HPBM), significantly enhanced in GUI and automation, now allows for much easier complex PBM modeling on arbitrary EM structures. The simple consolidated GUI allows users to split nets, group and refine the EM/PBM settings for the EM structures. The new HPBM provides the most user-friendly and transient-simulation-friendly modeling for complex layout structures in analog/RF/mmWave designs. To complement PeakView existing PBM (device physics-based modeling) and PBM2 (arbitrary interconnect EM modeling), HPBM includes both inductive and capacitive coupling effects among devices, interconnects and complex structures.
- Peakview’s 3D EM accuracy for DC-mmWave-TeraHz frequencies that depends on the multisheet current and precision capacitance computations is further strengthened. This includes the bug fix related to combination of multisheet current and sidewall capacitance and the new special MIMcap simulations in mmWave for foundries.
EM Quality and Layout Processing
- The MIMCap accuracy has been improved to address special MIMcap structures.
- High capacity Solver (HCS) has been significantly improved for production use in large-scale EM simulations such as brute-force metal fill study, in which HCS handles several millions of unknowns and up to one hundred ports.
- Peakview HCS improves on two major shortcomings encountered in iterative solver: the inefficiency in solving many ports and the uncertainty in results convergence. For practical use, EM data passivity and data caching are also properly addressed.
- The smart interpolation algorithm has been improved by using a better interpolation properties analysis.
- DPcircuit properties have been shown in the Parameters tab, when Pcircuits are used in this version.
- Progressive results display is implemented so that results are displayed as soon as each frequency is finished rather than users having to wait until the entire range of frequencies are computed.
- A new option for .peakviewinit file is added so that layer-based multisheet current can be predefined.
- To differentiate between Packaging layers and IC layers in the profile manager, PeakView applies a different color for the PKG layers in profile visualization.
PBM and HPBM
- HPBM GUI and flow have been overhauled to be more user-friendly and automated. Users can add cuts to split nets, merge nets and set up simulation types and PBM easily through the simple one consolidated GUI.
- Self and coupling capacitance are improved properly for the following PBM methods: “Inductor Tcoil 3 Ports”, “Transformer 5 ports with 1 ctap”, “Transformer 4 ports”, “Transformer 6 ports with 2 ctaps”, and “Arbitrary interconnect model with R,L,C”.
- MOMcap PBM accuracy and speed are enhanced. In this release, the topology of the MOMcap PBM has been modified to accommodate a wider range of MOMcaps, further improving accuracy and reducing the modeling time.
- The via layers have been included in the mesh-only field view to avoid confusion.
- Peakview visualization is improved through the integration of a new binary data storage format for storage efficiency and read/write speed.
- The GUI for frequency setup was updated to adopt “Linear/Step Size” and text-based sweep plan supporting multi-range frequency sweep.
High Frequency Design (HFD)
- The HFD GUI time of showing extracted views is now instant instead of possibly a few minutes. The extracted view with multiple view files and in large size populates right after HFD GUI opening.